Yes, you read that right!
I built this desk for under $40 and minimal carpentry skills in just a couple hours and you can too! Spray paint and a few gold upholstery tacks will make it look like it is a chic $400 desk! Below is everything you will need:
- spray paint (I used white) $3.99
- gold upholstery nails (2 packs) $1.30 x 2 = $2.60
- Melamine White Panel Top (normally used for shelving) 45in x 24in $12
- 20.5in x 3.5 (times 2) wood of your choice (I believe I used whitewood, it was cheap!)
- 29in x 3.5in (times 4) same wood as used above!
- 42.5in x 2in (times 2)
- 22in x 2in (times 2)
***The lumber came in pieces 8ft long and was cut to the appropriate length. Total cost of lumber was $18. Total cost of desk = $36.59
- Screw gun
- Table saw (optional) I had all my wood cut at Home Depot, just know your dimensions!
Building the Desk: Instructions
This is where you will want to either spray paint or stain the desk (or leave it au natural!)
Side Note: 99 cent spray paint is 99 cents for a reason. I bought a can thinking it would work just fine. I would have needed 18 cans of it to even subtly coat the desk. Lesson Learned, don’t be cheap when it comes to spray paint!
After my spray paint was dry I moved my desk inside and added the upholstery nails around the edge of the desk top. It’s a nice chic touch, and hides the rough edge!
HOLY CHIC! And there you have it, a modern chic desk for under $40! Stay tuned to learn more about completing a small office space and how to turn an old chair into a bright and comfortable office chair (for $12!)